Thursday 25 July 2024

So Far, So Good.

In spite of the very hot weather I took my packraft to the coast, at Punta Parda, last Friday (July 19th.) morning.   I was eager to try the packraft with the inflatable foot rest, which had just arrived from Germany.  Got on the water just as the sun was rising above a hazy horizon, hoping to get a couple of hours before heat and humidity became uncomfortable – although the coast is a bit cooler, the humidity is much higher than we are used to inland.

The foot rest was a huge improvement.  Not only did it make paddling more comfortable, it also provided a convenient raised platform in the bow, for a bag of those bits of kit which might be needed on the water. I made a couple of leisurely circuits of the bay before heading out into open water.  I soon got over that bit of apprehension, about being sat in a single air chamber inflatable craft no bigger than the usual household bath, and felt quite at home rising and falling in a gentle swell.  A tubby packraft is not really suited to long distance paddling, unless going downstream on a river.  So, particularly on the sea, I'll generally only use it for pottering around.  Anfibio give a top speed of 4km./hr. for my model of packraft, but I found it took hard paddling to achieve that – and, because of its shape, forward momentum is quickly lost as soon as you stop paddling – there's no 'glide' like a longer, sleeker craft.  I found that 3km./hr. was a comfortable speed.

I still need a bit more practice, but I didn't embarrass myself getting in and out this time.  However, the beach in the bay was starting to fill up with sun worshippers when I got back at around 9:30 a.m., so I played safe and landed well away from an audience.  I did get wet, but through choice – I went for swim after landing.

I did get the hoped for two hours on the water.  Distance paddled this time was 5.7 kilometres.  I am now waiting for some much cooler days for further outings with this craft.