Saturday 6 July 2024

And Now Packrafting

 In my blog post of Sunday July 26th. 2020, I extolled the virtues of my Gumotex Twist kayak and compared it to a packraft. I showed a picture of a typical packraft and ended up by saying the following: “Even if I wanted one, which I don't, I'm not sure if I would like to be seen in something which looks as if it was bought in a beach shop”. Now, four years on, my curiosity about packrafts has got the better of me and I have bought one …... thinking that if I didn't try one now I might regret it when the time comes for me to give up kayaking.

I am now the proud owner of an Anfibio Delta MX packraft. A basic, very lightweight , multi-functional and modestly priced craft, which rolls up into a conveniently small bundle when deflated. I have added full details and photos to the 'My Kayaks' page of this blog and a link to the Anfibio website in the 'WEBSITES OF INTEREST' list.

Having never seen a packraft, other than on websites and YouTube videos, I wasn't prepared for how delicate the fabric looked and felt when I first unpacked it. It is going to take a while to accept that a fabric, not unlike good quality Christmas wrapping paper with a foil outer surface (it even crackles when folded!) is incredibly strong and abrasion resistant – as it needs to be for the range of uses (i.e. bouncing down rapids) that packrafts are used for. Not that I'm likely to do anything more than quiet paddling. It's the light weight and simplicity of packrafts that appeals to me.

Since the packraft arrived, just over a week ago, I've been out with it twice – for two hours on the Negratin reservoir and for one hour on the sea. Just trial runs to get used to an unfamiliar craft. On the reservoir I covered 3.6 kms. and 2.2 kms. on the sea and, despite it's tubby appearance, it paddled easier than I expected. A lot of time was spent faffing around with the best seat position and where & how to stow bits of kit – which will resolve themselves over time, no doubt.


View of Negratin from my first trip in a packraft.

 I've had to order the optional inflatable footrest from Anfibio – my feet (I've got short legs, for my height) need something to push against for comfortable paddling. Even a bit of kit behind the seat, to move it forward, isn't enough.



Back on the shore at Negratin.

 I need to experiment with the best ways of getting in and out of this craft, gracefully! As it's a low pressure, single air chamber craft it's all squidgy when concentrated weight goes on the side tubes – and the surface of the fabric is slippery. So far my entries and exits have been a tad ungainly! Good job I went for trial paddles early mornings, when no one was around.



First impressions are all good. This craft should get me on the water at places where there's no access for a kayak on a trolley. Everything needed (and it's all lightweight stuff) for a few hours on the water will pack easily into a single rucksack for back-packing to the water edge. I've ordered a waterproof rucksack along with the footrest.

So, I'm on a learning curve with this craft - but I still think packrafts look a bit like something from a beach shop, just much bigger.