Sunday 28 January 2024

First of 2024

 A run of nice warm days, and a forecast of very light winds, encouraged me to take my Gumotex Halibut kayak to the Embalse de Negratin last Thursday.

Got on the water at 10:30am, at Playa de Freila. With the water in the reservoir so low (currently at 21.19%) Playa de Freila is the only place with easy access to the water. It no longer reaches the other two places, in the upper part of reservoir, which I've used for access in the past.

After making the effort to go all the way to Negratin, I like to try and get at least four hours on the water, to make the journey worthwhile. So, becoming curious about how far up the reservoir I could go, without running out of water, I decided on a two hour non-stop paddle from Freila towards the upper end. A four hour round trip, as long as I resisted the urge to explore any side inlets.

I did reach a section of the reservoir I hadn't paddled for a long time. However, my four hour plan actually stretched a bit. When I turned back after two hours, with open water still ahead of me, I gulped a bit when I realised how far I had come! The return journey took a bit longer than the outward leg. Fortunately I had taken my pack-up lunch with me – and munched my way back. A tail wind would have been helpful, but the water was glassy calm. Reflections on the water were magnificent, but I didn't break paddling rhythm to take any photos.

Curiosity now part satisfied. If I repeat this trip in my new kayak, the Neris Smart 1, which is a far better long distance craft, I could get much further in the same time. It was a bit ambitious with the wider and heavier, but comfortable, Halibut.

Time on the water was approaching 4½ hours. Distance paddled was 15 kilometres. I admit to being a bit achy the next day!